Award Details - Scholarships $500-$5,000
How to Apply
Applicants must be U.S. residents, 18-30 years of age (It’s okay to be 17 when applying if you’ll be 18 when starting the school year.) They must be African American and/or mixed ethnicity of African descent and must be the descendant of an enslaved person. Evidence of being a descendant of an enslaved person in America through documentation or oral history is preferred, but not required. Scholarships can be used to help with community college, university, graduate school, or trade school.
An essay of 500 words or less integrating responses to the following questions is required.
- Relationship to enslaved ancestor if known by documentation or oral history
- Name of parents
- Current year of school
- College, university, technical, career, or vocational school that you will attend, if known
- Educational goals/dreams
- Work experience including part-time jobs/volunteering/projects/com
munity service/extracurricular activities
- What is your passion?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- What are you really good at?